Welcome to the latest issue of The Commons digest!
This is our bi-weekly round-up of community news, relevant content and anything that can help us level up together.
As always, reach out if you have any feedback or if you’d like anything featured in here.
Now onto the update 👇
We celebrated several hiring announcements and promotions!
- Roomi Kalita joined the New Verticals team at DoorDash 🏃♂️
- Nisarg Shah joined Talos as an Institutional Sales Executive 🏦
- Mentor Josh Kennedy was promoted to Head of Data & Business Systems at GetSales 🤝
- Zubeir Said joined Capchase as Customer Operations Associate 📈
- Fairuz Hoque, a mentor and the first alum to join our Data Squad, joined Dolly in Strategy & Operations 💪
- Christian White was promoted to the Product team at Checkr 🔎
- Shezal Lalani joined the finance team at Waabi 🚘
- David Morettin join Top Hat as a Business Operations Manager 🎩
- Mentor Himanshu Goel joined Yours as Head of Operations 🧴
Community members: please be sure to reach out with a word or two of congratulations on Slack!
Apply Now: June Sprints 🚀
Applications are open for three Commons Sprints that kick off in June: Strategic Finance, Product Strategy and Revenue Growth.
Join hundreds of professionals on a journey to level up and make world-class connections, focused entirely on strategic business roles in the tech industry.
Remember that once accepted, spots in each cohort are first-come, first-served.
Dozens of community members and other smart business professionals have already enrolled in these Sprints. You can join them by applying below 👇
We're Here to Help 💚
As we've seen, some members in our community (and beyond) have been impacted by recent layoffs. We're a unique community that is here to support each other during the messy middle parts of our careers - with advice, connections, words of encouragement and other acts, small and large.
So... We're providing a handful of full-ride and partial scholarships to people who have been recently laid off.
If you or someone you know has been affected by recent layoffs, simply complete the form below (or have a friend do the same). We'd be grateful if you could also spread the word through your socials.
Apply Now - Layoff Scholarship
Oh, and in case you needed another example of how supportive this community is: when we posted about this initiative in Slack, João immediately asked if community members can donate funds to increase the scholarship pool.
So, if you'd like to join fellow community-members in making a small donation to help more people take charge of their careers amidst layoffs, you can head over to this GoFundMe page.
It's a small gesture that quickly adds up.
Community Members Spotlight 💡
Today we're featuring Brody Slacer, a Commons mentor and VP Operations at Flashfood.
Here's a quick look at his career path:
With characteristic generosity, Brody gives us a peek into what projects an executive might spearhead at an operationally-intensive foodtech company.
He also chats about what prompted him to move into ops, what the journey to an executive role is like and how you can prepare for interviews.
Brody has helped countless community members level up, so any advice from him is worth paying attention to. You can read more about him and his work here.
Events @ The Commons 🗓
- Thursday June 2nd: We're throwing another IRL meetup in Toronto! This is open to all community members and friends of Commons. Please also feel free to bring a friend. You can learn more and sign up here.
- Thursday June 9th: Community members Maddie Bonser and Shawn Wu are hosting another Montreal IRL meetup! Community members can learn more and sign up at the link in the #mtl-community channel on Slack.
One (Community) Thing ✨
Here's mentor Sushant grabbing drinks with members his team from the last cohort! Mentor Saumil (and Sushant's colleague at SafeGraph) joined as well.
We love seeing community members meet up IRL!
That’s all for now ✌️ If you’d like to access more news and content before the next update, you can hop on over to Slack.
P.S. please give us a follow on Instagram - we’re bringing the community directly to your feed :)
See anything your friend might find interesting? Feel free to forward this issue! This community grows stronger and more valuable to everyone in it the more smart people - i.e. folks like you - learn about The Commons. Sign-up to receive all things The Commons right here.