Welcome to the latest issue of The Commons digest!
This is our bi-weekly round-up of community news, relevant content and anything that can help us level up together.
As always, reach out if you have any feedback or if you’d like anything featured in here.
Now onto the update 👇
We celebrated several hiring announcements and promotions!
- Tyler Papaleo, a Data Lead and first-ever member of the Data Squad at Commons, joined Instacart as Senior Analyst, Business Intelligence 🥕
- Lavanya Bhatt joined Dover as a Customer Success Manager, where she'll be working closely with fellow Commons alum Katy 🤝
- Matthew Freeman joined Yelp in Business Operations and Strategy, where he'll be working closely with mentor Fernando ⭐️
- Jake Morisette joined Instacart as Senior Analyst, Analytics & Insights 🥕
- Sul Mahmood joined OpenPhone as a Product Specialist ☎️
- Daniel Cohen was promoted to Director, Customer Success Operations at Persado ✍
- Mentor Steph Chiu was promoted to a Product role on the Quality & Logistics team at DoorDash 🏃♀️
- Sunny Kullar was promoted to Senior Manager, Mortgage Strategy at Properly 🏡
- Anna Toronova joined the Business Operations team at Pepper 🌶
- Mitch Titsworth joined Ibotta as a Senior Financial Analyst 💵
- Graeme Duff joined OpenSea on the Corporate Development team ⛵️
- Megan Do joined the marketing team at DripShop 🛍
Community members: please be sure to reach out with a word or two of congratulations on Slack!
An Operator You Should Know About 🎙
We recently sat down with Salmaa Elshanshory, VP of Market Expansion at Medly.
Salmaa shared how she broke into tech from a background in public policy, why the best companies celebrate failure and how she thinks about career opportunities.
We had a lot of fun recording this one.
You can listen to the full episode here.
Last Call: May Core Sprint 🚀
Applications for the May cohort of our Core Sprint close soon! The deadline to apply is Friday May 27th at 11:59pm EST.
Join hundreds of professionals on a journey to level up and make world-class connections, focused entirely on strategic business roles in the tech industry. The cohort kicks off on May 30th.
Remember that once accepted, Sprints are first-come, first-served. If you want to secure a spot, applying ASAP is your best bet.
Community Members Spotlight 💡
Today we're featuring Allan Mariano, a Commons mentor and Business Operations Lead at Shopify.
Here's a quick look at his career path:
Allan's background is worth studying for many reasons, not the least of which is that he's a great example of where you can end up when you're making the switch from telcos or other large corporations. We also love his perspective on career moves:
"It’s okay to not know what you plan to do out of school.
In no way did I ever plan to stay at a telecom company for 6 years, then transition right into tech doing business operations.
Each role I had allowed me to develop the necessary skills to uplevel my career and I’m truly grateful for all of the experiences that my career has thrown at me."
Allan has helped countless community members level up, so any advice from him is worth paying attention to. You can read more about him and his work here.
Events @ The Commons 🗓
- Wednesday May 18th: We wrapped up the second edition of the The Commons Summit 🎉 Two evenings packed with actionable learnings from our wonderful mentors and alumni. We had a blast - stay tuned for dates for the next edition!
- Wednesday May 25th: Join us for another edition of Keeping it Candid. We'll help answer a critical career question: "Should I work for an early-stage company, a growth-stage company or an established tech company?" Community-members Andrew (Meta), Saumil (SafeGraph), Carolyn (DoorDash) and Megan (Boostcamp) will cover everything you need to know about company stages. Community members can sign up at the link we'll post in Slack. Friends of The Commons can request a seat here.
- Tuesday May 31st: One of the most-asked about coding languages at The Commons? Python. Community members Shane, Michael and Josh have generously offered to spend an hour covering all things Python, and the ways in which intersects with BizOps functions. We'll post a link in Slack for community members to sign up at.
Apply Early: Summer Sprints 🌟
We're still reviewing early applications to three Sprints that will kick off in June: Strategic Finance, Product Strategy and Revenue Growth.
Applying early is the best way to secure your spot in that we'll have more time to review your application. All of our March Sprints, for example, filled up before we could even finish processing all of the applications.
Dozens of community members and other smart business professionals have already enrolled in these Sprints. You can join them by applying below 👇
Apply Early - Product Strategy
Apply Early - Strategic Finance
One (Community) Thing 💚
To our infinite delight, the run of IRL community meetups continues! Here are some of our incredible Bay Area-based community members congregating at the San Francisco meetup.
Big thanks to Michelle for the photo 💚
Stay tuned for news about other meetups!
That’s all for now ✌️ If you’d like to access more news and content before the next update, you can hop on over to Slack.
P.S. please give us a follow on Instagram - we’re bringing the community directly to your feed :)
See anything your friend might find interesting? Feel free to forward this issue! This community grows stronger and more valuable to everyone in it the more smart people - i.e. folks like you - learn about The Commons. Sign-up to receive all things The Commons right here.